The weekend saw a few late nights (such devotion to the hobby, or did I just get carried away)
I'm still not sure if the stone is too dark, but then again, it's supposed to represent a pre-Clean Air Act environment, and I've seen some buildings here in Leeds that are STILL black...
The stonework was treated to several layers of built up colour - having an overall sand colour applied as a base, then washed over with dilute brown. When dry (speeded up with a hair dryer) it was treated to an additional wash of dilute black.
Once this was dry, I painstakingly went over all the mortar course lines with a dilute magnolia mix, which settled into all the mortar lines. Some were a little clogged from the multiple coats of paint these walls have received, but I think that is perfectly acceptable as it breaks up the uniformity. Once this had all dried it left a tide mark around some of the edges (more noticeably on the track side where it had got really late and I got a bit more urgent in painting, opting to just splash it on rather than follow the mortar courses) which was then hidden with a dry brush of brown black to weather it all up.
I'm very pleased with how the roof has gone:
Close up photography can be very cruel - it shows up the patchy and sometimes wonky edges on the bargeboards and guttering - I'll have to go over them again. The roof tiles will alsoo receive a bit more weathering - especially around the chimney stacks. I also noticed when photographing this morning that I missed painting a bit of leading around one of them
The mortar shown here is probably a bit too light as it faces trackside and I think it's going to be treated to additional weathering to make it REALLY sooty.