Pages

12 July 2013

Forgive me Blogger, for I have Sinned...

...It has been 7 weeks since my last Blog-session...

...but then again, I have been rather busy on other non-model related activities..

Right, Where were we?

Yes, the infamous never ending station building...

After a couple of false starts regarding the colouring and the roof warping, I've finally got something I'm happy with and I could start with fitting the windows back in. The technique was still the same with regards to the frame, but this time I decided to paint the windows rather than just leave them plain white (having since found out that white pigment was hard to come by in the late 50s/60s)

Once I'd constructed the 3 ply frames out of self adhesive cut vinyl, I then treated them to an undercoat of the Pound Shop's finest grey primer (the vinyl it impossible to paint on untreated) Once dry they had a couple of coats of Humbrol cream acrylic for the inner frame, then with a 000 brush painted the outer frames with crimson. They need a bit of touching up here and there, and a wash of grime to take away the "just painted" look, but I'll do that later under the final touches stage.

The windows were then fixed to a piece of 1.5mm acrylic (beautifully clear and scratch-free). A bit on the chunky side, but as the interior is not modelled or seen, it isn't really an issue.
These were then superglued in from the reverse, not without the usual issues of getting glue where it shouldn't or even your intrepid protagonist managing to stick his fingers fast to the roof... luckily I managed to extracate myself with only the minimal damage of losing one roof tile. I also managed to do the same thing with the trackside wall and pulled some paint off when unsticking myself... darn it!

so, it's almost done...




Just the chimney pots, the downpipes and the canopies to sort, and then I can start on the platforms....


6 comments:

  1. Ah, we were all waiting for this and it's worth waiting for. It looks magnificent. Love the stonework and the windows work really well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chas, I think the windows set it off, and it really makes a difference with the two colour frames. They're a bit scrappy in places, but from normal viewing distance, you'd hardly tell

      Delete
  2. Looks really great, Lee. I like your post title! The model is really fine, and dare I say it, when it is bedded in to a scene with platforms and herbage...those other things...tracks etc, it will look absolutely STUNNING.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Iain. The post title I've had in my head for a while :)..Next plan is to get on with the platforms so I can embed the building. I've pretty much decided on a track layout, I just need to get on with it!

      Delete
  3. Well you have certainly nailed that one Lee, the building looks superb. The colouring of the stone looks spot on from here and the windows really bring the building alive.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Geoff. I'm rather pleased with it now, and am in the process of making drainpipes!

    ReplyDelete