I'd posted the images from the previous post on one of the model railway forums I belong to, whereby someone contacted me saying they loved the tunnel and could I make them one?
Wahey! thought I, a commission!
Alas, turns out they couldn't afford to pay me to make a tunnel, but being the helpful sort I am, I agreed to a compromise and said I would draw up an making the edging stones for him to build up his own tunnel.
It was in doing this that I realised that I'd made my previous edging stones way too small, and there were far too many of them, so looking back at the prototypes, I redrew the portal opening in Adobe Illustrator and set about making Tunnel Part II - the revenge...
On getting a more acceptable outline drawing, I pasted underneath the outline an image of some Random Ashlar Stone walling and then printed it out onto a self adhesive sheet of paper (normal paper and pritt stick works just as well), sticking it to a sheet of 5mm foamex, then cut out the tunnel aperture and basic structure. Following this I proceded to follow the mortar lines with a scalpel, peeling the printed paper off as I went along
|Using a scalpel, all the mortar lines are painstakingly scribed through the print, to reveal the outline once the print is peeled off the Foamex.|
|Stones worked over with screwdriver blade, scratching little details into individual stones as I go. The edging stones are left purposefully flat to give the appearance of dressed stone.|
Once all the lines had been cut into the Foamex, I then proceeded to go over the lines with a honed down chisel screwdriver blade to open up the mortar courses, exaggerating somewhat the actual scale, but making the stones appear chunkier. Using the screwdriver had the added bonus of embossing the foamex, thus making the stones appear less flat.
Capping ledges and a parapet wall were added next before gluing in a representative section of tunnel lining, made from a 1mm sheet of foamex, carved directly with the aforementioned screwdriver. I cut a secondary tunnel base with the oval shape drawn 1mm in from the outer, so that once glued together, the tunnel lining had a lip to bind on to.
It was all glued together with UHU all purpose glue and braced to prevent the lining pinging away and left to dry.
|The undercoat. Serves 2 purposes - gives the top coat greys something to bind to, and acts as a mortar colour|
|The finished article complete with truck for scale. Looks a lot more brown in this light|