18 April 2013

Disaster Strikes

I've spent some considerable time cutting strips of tiles from thick paper and nicking in all the vertical tiles, then sticking them to the cereal box roof base. I started gluing with slightly diluted pva, then the roof started to warp, so I switched to neat pva.. it was still warping, so decided it would just have to be a slightly in need of repair roof. I proceeded to stick the tiles on the other side down with double sided tape - Result - a non-warping roof. Great!
I then decided to try a test paint on the flat roof tiles.... The result is as you can see below:
The previously flat roof, now severely warped.

The first side, slightly warped from gluing, but as yet unpainted. Gratuitous Bailey shot

The upshot of this test is I've invested so much time in this model so far and I'm rather exasperated. If this was a rustic barn or row of cottages, I'd be tempted to leave it, but this is a quality building and frankly should have a solid, straight roof, so it's all going to have to come off, chimneys and all to be replaced with a stronger substructure. At least if I take it off carefully, I'll have a cutting template... Watch this space...

On the plus side, I have been having a lot of fun with the Signal Box and the roof of this baby is a lot stronger. I've used 2mm foamex superglued at right angles. This gives a nice deep bargeboard effect at either gable.  The tiles were made in the same way as above, but glued on with neat PVA with no warping disasters...
photo in daylight taken indoors due to high winds outdoors.

That middle window post is a bit wobbly. I'll have to sort that out. Foamex roof stucture has been sanded to right angles (or there abouts) to give a perpendicular edge to affix guttering to.

All in all I'm rather pleased with it so far, and what started out as an starter exercise in using Wills sheet has slowly transformed into a potentially usable model. It's not in the LMS style, but who cares? ;)


  1. That really is disappointing and exasperating, particularly after cutting out all the tiles. You're right though, a roof in need of serious repair just wouldn't look the part - this is one of those grand, imposing station buildings which I guess will be the centre piece of the layout. At least the disaster has produced a handy idea for a warped barn roof or similar. And I expect Bailey was no help at all although picked up a bit of Anglo Saxon during the process. I'm looking forward to seeing roof Mark II. The consolation is that the signal box is looking very well indeed.

  2. Well, I've taken many many weeks to get this far - what's a couple more months? I'm going to remake the roofs for the two bays first to see how they go before ripping off the fiddly main roof...

  3. Shame about the roof Lee but I am sure all will work out well in the end. Looking on the bright side the signal box is turning out to be a real gem and will certainly be finished before mine !

  4. I agree with my learned colleagues above, the signal box is a gem. I have had many harrowing experiences with roofs and yours doesn't surprise me, although I am very sorry to see it. I should have warned you to make the roof out of something's an awful thought having to do that again but as Chas says, the building wouldn't look right otherwise...and you have made such a superb job so far.

  5. i have the same trouble with warping. There are 2 options: 1. use an inert material e.g. plastic instead of card 2. Use a non water-based paint

    Sorry, 3 options: live with a warped roof as they are in real life

  6. Hi John, I've gone for option 1, having completely re-roofed in plastic. The roof was too badly warped to look realistic as it was, I know they're never dead straight, but unless the timbers are completely shot, it shouldn't represent the Atlantic in a storm ;)

  7. Hi Lee, just catching up with your latest posts.

    I was going to say that the double sided tape was a clever solution, but evidently not. I look forward to seeing your next try, which will no doubt come out brilliant.

    Regarding sagging roofs in real life, it's funny how some things just don't look right in model form, even if they are in reality. E.g. I recently tried to model a leaning post and it immediately caught the eye as something that was wrong - although real life is full of leaning posts!

  8. The double sided tape solution is great for actually sticking the tiles down - eliminates the gluing down warping, but doesn't stop the water in the paint warping the cardboard underneath.

    I've also discovered, the hard way, that sticking paper to plastic/pvc with pva glue doesn't work.. Oh it sticks down initially, then lifts off in one big sheet.