19 March 2013
Station Building Interim Update
I'm still hard at work scribing the stonework - the roadside and ends are now pretty much done (apart from the bay modules, which I've still to do (the right hand one having completely fallen apart), but the trackside still has a tiny bit more to do.
Since the last update, I've ripped the sills off (again) and this time cemented on some strips of 1mm foamex, also adding in a little architectural ridge detail at lintel height with the same material. I've now added on a foundation plinth (is this the right term), which will only feature on the roadside face, as trackside - the doors will open at platform level, whereas on the entrance side, there will be a small flight of stone steps leading upwards - hence the rough gap under the door. As mentioned previously, I've had to scrap the earlier version because they don't fit, especially not now with the addition of the plinth. This plinth will be scribed with a heftier course of stones, once it's all dried and sanded.
You might notice that I've bitten the bullet and fixed the three main modules together. This I've done with contact adhesive, then filled in the slight gap between modules, with ready mixed filler. Once properly dry, I should be able to rescribe any filled in sections and lightly scratch away any bumps of filler. It might have been a rash decision to glue so early, as I still haven't finished the trackside scribing, which is quite tricky on the finished solid building, but there's only a bit left to do, and I was anxious to make progress.
Jumping ahead a little, I've made a temporary roof to see how it's going to fit together. A little annoyingly, the top of the building isn't quite flat, so the roof doesn't sit quite flush with the stone detail on the top of the walls. As I'd hoped to leave the roof as removable so I could possibly retro fit lights at a later date, this is a problem - normally I'd use a quick fix and just fill the gaps, but I'm going to have to see if I can sand the tops flatter.
Almost ready to paint the walls... Almost...