Pages

19 March 2013

Station Building Interim Update




I'm still hard at work scribing the stonework - the roadside and ends are now pretty much done (apart from the bay modules, which I've still to do (the right hand one having completely fallen apart), but the trackside still has a tiny bit more to do.

Since the last update, I've ripped the sills off (again) and this time cemented on some strips of 1mm foamex, also adding in a little architectural ridge detail at lintel height with the same material. I've now added on a foundation plinth (is this the right term), which will only feature on the roadside face, as trackside - the doors will open at platform level, whereas on the entrance side, there will be a small flight of stone steps leading upwards - hence the rough gap under the door. As mentioned previously, I've had to scrap the earlier version because they don't fit, especially not now with the addition of the plinth. This plinth will be scribed with a heftier course of stones, once it's all dried and sanded.

You might notice that I've bitten the bullet and fixed the three main modules together. This I've done with contact adhesive, then filled in the slight gap between modules, with ready mixed filler. Once properly dry, I should be able to rescribe any filled in sections and lightly scratch away any bumps of filler.  It might have been a rash decision to glue so early, as I still haven't finished the trackside scribing, which is quite tricky on the finished solid building, but there's only a bit left to do, and I was anxious to make progress.

Jumping ahead a little, I've made a temporary roof to see how it's going to fit together. A little annoyingly, the top of the building isn't quite flat, so the roof doesn't sit quite flush with the stone detail on the top of the walls. As I'd hoped to leave the roof as removable so I could possibly retro fit lights at a later date, this is a problem - normally I'd use a quick fix and just fill the gaps, but I'm going to have to see if I can sand the tops flatter.

Almost ready to paint the walls... Almost...

7 comments:

  1. Just looked at this before going to work. That stone work looks really, really good. Your patience and perseverance has certainly paid off and it looks far better than embossed styrene sheet. I'm going to have to bite the bullet and stop using so much of the stuff. Thanks Lee, what a great way to start the day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cheers for that Chas, your appreciation brought a smile to my face as I got up ( and I thought I got up early for work)
    I can't close my eyes now, for seeing scribed stonework...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I echo Chas's comments, you are a master of precision...that stonework is going to be amazing. I know what you mean about assembling the building slightly prematurely...I am like a Jack Russell terrier when I am building, always wanting to get on, with no patience to set things aside and let them dry! The problem with the roof is on the pile marked "the usual problems" and will be no trouble to a man of your considerable skills. Great stuff! I'm curious to know what you will be using for the windows...

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Windows will be made using my new found technique - it's very fiddly, but effective. Yet another modelling perk of working in the Exhibition and Sign Making industry is that I have access to a Vinyl Plotter, so in much the same way you can set up etches for brass, I can make drawings on the window frames, then output them via the plotter (cutter) onto Matt Self Adhesive Vinyl, then apply to either acetate or thin film, then mount from the rear. I started just doing the one layer, but I found that if I was carefull, I could laminate 2 together to give some depth - it takes a lot of careful lining up though

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely work Lee.

    Can't wait to see how your windows take shape, what an excellent idea.

    Geoff

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well they've already said it :-)

    The scribing must be tedious, but the effect is worth every second. Will be intereting to see how you get on with the windows. Amazing how modelling techniques are developing in all sorts of new directions at the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers Mikkel - it's very tedious, and especially more so when you slip and have to try really hard to hide the mistake. I've just about finished the main building and am about to start scribing the two wings - hoping to update soon

    ReplyDelete