Before I can finish off the roofline, I've got some chimneys to build and install
|The foamex chimney in it's all it's unpotted glory|
The building will require 5 wide chimneys and 4 smaller chimneys, so I set to with my trusty foamex, using a piece off 5mm thick for the core and wrapping a layer of 1mm around the base. For quickness I used double sided tape to stick the 1mm to the 5mm, but in hindsight I wished I'd used a strong adhesive as the tape floats somewhat when sanding.. Anyway - cutting a strip of 1mm to the desired depth (already having backed with double sided tape, I laid my piece of 5mm squarely on top and trimmed down the edge with a scalpel. I then rotated the stack to stick the next piece and trim, repeating all the way around.
For the ridge I cut a 1mm strip of 1mm foamex and repeated the process for the bottom section, but this time using poly cement and waiting for the glue to bond before trimming the excess and rotating. I used an engineer's square to attempt to get the strip level all the way around, and it doesn't look too bad at all. Cruel close up photography shows imperfections in the matching up due to a not-so-square vertical scalpel cut, but a little light sanding and some paint should sort that out. Unpainted you can see the seems where all four pieces meet, but I've scribed over the joins and it wraps around all four sides nicely. I may just try and touch in with some filler to hide the joints better (this is where gluing with something stronger would have been better as the edges could have been filed finer to hide the seams further)
Finally I've adding a capping layer of 1mm, to which I'm going to add some pots made from sliced up biro tubing (the bit that holds the ink) sunk into a bed of either filler or tile adhesive (in the absence of DAS clay as I haven't got any )
So, now I've done one - just another 6 to do for the main building before I can fix them in place and build the roof around them. Hopefully next post will show the roof